The National University of Music was founded in 1864 by the Prince Alexandu Ioan Cuza of Romania, as a Conservatory for Music and Drama. The actual University inherited the buildings and the administration of the former Conservatory, as an integral part of the system of higher education in Romania, from its beginnings to present times.

Enjoying a special location in the centre of Bucharest, on 33rd Stirbei Voda Street, the National University of Music received its present name in 2000 and benefits from its status as one of the most important music institutions from the South-East of Europe.